I love this – it’s a must have when in France. There’s a French market that comes to us once a year that cooks it in a giant pan. Not exactly ‘healthy eats’ but damn it’s lovely. Also not one for people who are not a fan of / allergic to Garlic!
- 1kg Charlotte potatoes, peeled
- 250g bacon lardons
- 2 shallots
- 1 garlic clove
- 100ml white wine
- 200ml double cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Reblochon cheese (about 450g)
Tartiflette was apparently created to sell Reblochon cheese, but if you absolutely need to substitute then I guess you could use gruyère or something like that instead?
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Boil the potatoes in water with a pinch of salt for 5-10 minutes then drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Fry the bacon, shallots and garlic for 4-5 minutes in a hot pan
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and cook off until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Slice the potatoes thinly and layer into an oven-proof dish with the bacon mixture.
- Pour in the double cream. Season with salted and a generous grind of black pepper. Layer the Reblochon (sliced) on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown on top.